Ever since going vegan I have been on the ultimate search to find a delicious bread pudding recipe, since bread pudding has always been one of my weaknesses. I haven’t put too much effort in my search yet, but I will definitely find the perfect recipe. This one I just threw together, and it turned out to be great-not too sweet, with the coconut complimenting the tart cherries perfectly. I almost added dark chocolate chips, but opted out to keep it more simple. You can really change this recipe up making several variations. I would have added more coconut milk (or another nut milk) because I like my bread pudding more soggy and not as dry. But it is a personal preference.
Cherry Coconut Almond Bread Pudding
- 5 1/2 cups stale whole grain bread (Left out to stale at least overnight-lightly covered)
- 3 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs arrowroot powder (could sub tapioca starch)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350, lightly grease bottom of casserole dish or 4 ramekins with coconut oil and then sprinkle with a couple Tbs of coconut. You could also sprinkle with sucanat or brown sugar-but I omitted.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, salt, cherries, almonds and 1/4 cup coconut. Place bread cubes in the mixture and let sit for 15 minutes to soak up all the liquid.
- Press bread into dish or ramekins and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup coconut and more cherries if desired. Bake 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden on top. If you prefer your bread pudding more wet, just take it out of the oven earlier-it is not like there are any unsafe raw ingredients!
- It is always the best to eat while still warm! Enjoy with a cup of hot tea. I recommend vanilla rooibos chai 🙂